Thursday 5 July 2012

A time for melancholy?



: (

This day I started, bright and cheery,
Yet all at once began to query
Why? For what should I be cheery?
I sought and sought, till eyes were bleary
And of this trial began to weary,
Till sudden dawned a light so eerie:
Like this rhyme’s end, aren’t most lives dreary?


A Black Stone day, then, despite the sudden sunshine. Returning to yesterday’s theme, a visual homage in my book, Curd the Lion, at the end of the tale...

Old Corbie, the Great Raven, becomes a Phoenix, reflecting...


Edmund Dulac’s lovely watercolours from The Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, which in turn lead to...

Caspar David Friedrich’s The Wanderer above the Mists, reminding me of his...

Two Men looking at the Moon, that is somehow reminiscent of...

my own photograph, The Wanderer, taken at the enchanted Chanctonbury Ring on the South Downs in Sussex.
If you want to see more of my landscape photos, click this link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116922605845018607478/AREAWILDNATUREPICTURES#slideshow/5740083912536983906

(I have a first edition copy of the beautiful Dulac book, with the original exhibition poster still inserted.)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Alan, I met you in Bridport Waterstones this week when I flomped into a chair due to extreme sweaty overhotness. (I was the woman with a little girl who kept saying 'what that man saying?')

    I wish I'd talked to you more because this stuff is right up my street. I am an artist and I draw weird stuff and love old book illustrations, and generally like new ones less, but yours are an exception.

    My parents are from Sussex and are very attached to the countryside there. I will follow this blog.

    ReplyDelete